Medium/large sized prawns (deveined and with head & tail) – 150 gm
Mustard seeds – 1.5 tbsp
Green chilli – 2-3
Coconut milk – 0.75 cup
Mustard oil – 1 tbsp
Salt and sugar (preferably custard sugar) – to taste
1. Make a paste of mustard seeds and green chillis together.
2. Mix the paste, mustard oil, coconut milk, salt and sugar and add the prawns in the mixture.
3. Mix well so that the prawns are submerged in the mixture well.
4. Put the prawns along with the mixture in a bowl whose base is of tentatively half of the area of the steamer base.
5. Prepare the steamer with water, put the bowl in the steamer and cover the lid.
6. Steam for tentatively 5 minutes.
7. Remove the lid. With a spoon, taste the gravy and adjust the salt and sugar if required. Cover the lid again.
8. Remove and lid after tentatively 5 minutes and check if the prawns are cooked. If not yet, steam for few more minutes until it is cooked.
9. Take out the bowl, garnish with one or two whole green chillis and serve hot immediately with plain boiled rice.
Note: All the quantities of the ingredients mentioned here are relative and tentative. It may vary based on preferences of individuals in some cases.