Whoke Chicken with skin (cleaned) – 1.1 kg
Garlic (small cube cut) – 3 (big)
Garlic (pasted) – 1 tsp
Ginger (minced) – 3 tbsp
Ginger (pasted) – 1 tsp
Black pepper (crushed) – 2 pinch
White pepper (crushed) – 2 pinch
Dark soy sauce – 3 tbsp
Honey – 1.5 tbsp
Chinese five spice powder – 0.5 tsp
Shaoxing wine – 0.5 tsp
Sesame oil – 0.5 tsp
Salt – 1 pinch
For skin coating
Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
Sesame oil – 0.25 tsp
Honey – 1 tsp
1. Drain water from chicken and soak to dry with paper towel.
2. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Note, do not add the pasted ginger and garlic; squeez them to extract the juice only.
3. Mix all the skin coating ingredients in a separate bowl and keep aside.
4. Take a big bowl, place the chicken in it and add the marinade mixture to it. Use fingers to coat the whole chicken including the inner surface of its cavity. Keep the minced ginger and garlic parts of the marinade inside the cavity. Keep in refrigerator for 10 to 12 hours.
5. Take the chicken out of the refrigerator around 30 minutes before starting the roasting.
6. Take out the minced ginger and garlic from the cavity and keep the chicken aside in a separate conrainer.
7. Heat a wok and add all the leftover juice including the minced ginger and garlic to the wok, stir quickly, remove from heat and keep in a small serving bowl.
8. Start roasting the chicken evenly. After one round of roasting coat the outer surface of the chicken with the skin coating mixture using a brush and roast again. Continue roasting similarly until completely done. After each round, coat the surface with the skin coating.
9. Place the chciken on a big dish and add the stirred leftover juice on top of the chicken.
10. Serve hot immediately with steamed rice.
Note: All the quantities of the ingredients mentioned here are relative and tentative. It may vary based on preferences of individuals in some cases.