Bhetki or Basa (boneless slices) – 400 gm
Garlic (cube cut) – 6 tbsp
Dry red chili (whole) – 2
Spring onion (chopped) – 4 tbsp
Dark soy sauce – 2 tsp
Paprika sauce – 0.75 tsp
Sweet & sour tamarind sauce (you can get the recipe on several sites on web or you can buy it ready from market) – 3.5 tbsp
Fish sauce – 0.75 tsp
Corn flour – 4 tbsp
Baking powder – 1.5 tsp
Egg white – 2
Vegetable oil – 5 tbsp and sufficient for deep frying fish
Black pepper – 0.75 tsp
Castor sugar – to taste
Salt – to taste
1. Drain water from the fish, add the corn flour, 5 tbsp of vegetable oil, egg white, a little salt and baking powder to it and mix well. Keep in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in wok.
3. Once the oil is hot, deep fry the fish pieces until golden brown and keep aside (can be kept on a paper towel to soak the extra oil in it).
4. Keep tentatively 4 tbsp of oil in the wok and remove the remaining oil from it.
5. Heat the oil and add the garlic to it. Stir fry until it turns slight golden.
6. Add dry chili, spring onion and black pepper. Stir fry quickly.
7. Reduce the heat and quickly add the dark soy sauce, tamarind sauce, fish sauce and paprika sauce. Stir quickly to mix well.
8. Taste the sauce mixture and adjust salt, sugar and stir to mix quickly.
9. Add the fish and stir fry so that the sauce mixture coats the fish pieces. Increase the heat to high again and toss quickly to mix well.
10. Remove from heat, spread spring onion on it and serve hot immediately.
Note: All the quantities of the ingredients mentioned here are relative and tentative. It may vary based on preferences of individuals in some cases.