Jumbo prawn heads (whole, outer shell removed) – 4; tentative weight 500 gm
Garlic (cube cut) – 4 tbsp
Dry red chilli (whole) – 4
Onion (petal cut) – 1.5 cup
Green capsicum (petal cut) – 1 cup
Dark soy sauce – 0.5 tsp
Chinese rice wine – 0.75 tsp
Hot garlic sauce – 3 tsp
Tomato sauce – 1.5 tsp
Corn flour – 3 tsp
Baking powder – 0.5 tsp
Egg white – 1
Vegetable oil – sufficient for deep frying fish
Star anise – 1
Chili flakes – 1 tsp
Castor sugar – to taste
Salt – to taste
1. Drain water from the heads, add the corn flour, 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, egg white, a little salt and baking powder to it and mix well. Keep in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in wok.
3. Once the oil is hot, deep fry the fish pieces until golden brown and keep aside (can be kept on a paper towel to soak the extra oil in it).
4. Keep tentatively 5 tbsp of oil in the wok and remove the remaining oil from it.
5. Heat the oil and add the garlic to it. Stir fry until it turns slight golden.
6. Add chili flakes and dry chilis. Stir fry quickly.
7. Add onion and capsicum to wok and stir fry quickly.
8. Reduce the heat and quickly add the star anise, dark soy sauce, hot garlic sauce, tomato sauce and wine. Stir quickly to mix well.
9. Taste the sauce mixture and adjust salt, sugar and stir to mix quickly.
10. Add the fried heads and stir so that the sauce mixture coats the heads. Increase the heat to high again and toss quickly.
11. Remove from heat and serve hot immediately.
Note: All the quantities of the ingredients mentioned here are relative and tentative. It may vary based on preferences of individuals in some cases.