Chicken leg meat (boneless julienne cut) – 500 gm
Fresh asparagus (cleaned and cut into 1.5 to 2 inch sticks) – 1 cup
Garlic (cube cut) – 4 tbsp
Ginger (minced) – 1 tbsp
Spring onion (chopped) – 3 tbsp
Red bell pepper (petal cut) – 2 cup
Dry red chili (soaked and cut into 2 pieces) – 4
Dark soy sauce – 1 tsp
Chili garlic paste – 1.5 tsp
Fish sauce – 3 tbsp
Black bean sauce – 1.5 tbsp
Oyster sauce – 3 tbsp
White rice vinegar – 1 tsp
Black pepper (semi-crushed) – 2 tsp
Cornflour – 1 tbsp
Brown sugar – to taste
Salt – to taste
Vegetable oil – 6 tbsp
Sesame oil – 1 tsp
Water – 0.5 cup
1. Drain water from the chicken and keep aside.
2. Heat the 3 tbsp of vegetable oil in wok.
3. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken pieces to it and stir fry.
4. Continue stir frying until the chicken pieces turn light brownish.
5. Reduce the heat to low and stir for few minutes. The liquid fat part would come out from the chicken.
6. Keep the chicken aside and the liquid fat aside in a separate bowl.
7. In that bowl, add chili garlic paste, black bean sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, cornflour and water to the liquid fat. Mix well.
8. Heat the wok again and add 3 tbsp of vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic to it. Stir fry until the garlic is slightly brownish and aroma comes out.
9. Add 2 tbsp of spring onion, garlic and the black pepper. Stir fry quickly.
10. Add red bell pepper and asparagus to wok and stir fry.
11. Reduce the heat to medium and add the sauce mixture, sugar and salt to the wok and stir quickly.
12. Add the chicken to wok and stir so that the sauce coats the chicken evenly.
13. Add vinegar and mix well.
14. Taste the seasoning and adjust sugar and salt accordingly. Mix well quickly on high heat. Finish with sesame oil.
15. Remove from heat, garnish with the remaining spring onion and serve hot immediately.
Note: All the quantities of the ingredients mentioned here are relative and tentative. It may vary based on preferences of individuals in some cases.